Tuesday 24 June 2008

Life's a Pitch...

Like new cars, I think new projects should have a certain smell that make you want to get behind the wheel (or the keyboard) and see how far you can push that baby before you either drive it into the ground or blow the head gasket.

As soon as my bright and shiny new project rolled off the production line last week, I immediately took it for a test drive and started pitching it to production companies, networks and just about anybody else who would listen. As if by magic, I was instantly transported back to 2003 when I was pitching Arthur!

But why is pitching so daunting? You walk into the exec's office, and if you're lucky, you'll get to finish your coffee before hearing a 'thanks, but no thanks'. (how many times did that happen while pitching Arthur?!!)

If you're really REALLY lucky, you might even get your seat warm before being shown the door.

Pitching a primetime show, I was expecting either one of those scenarios; partly because primetime is new territory for me. But it went surprisingly well. I was asked to drive my project back to the assembly line for a quick tweak and polish, then to get back in touch when it was ready for delivery...

...OK, enough with the car analogy; it's really ticking me off.

When I got back to KAD Headquarters, I had an email telling me that my recent interview with the Writers' Guild was now available online. If you didn't catch it in the magazine, you can read it here.

Now then, where's that polish?...

No comments: