Thursday 12 June 2014

Rik...

As with most comedy fans of my generation, the terribly sad news of Rik Mayall’s passing came as a huge shock. 

For those of us who grew up on a diet of Kevin Turvey and the anarchy, violence and chaos of The Young Ones and the wonderful Bottom, life won't be quite the same again. 

Rik was one of my Comedy Gods. He was also my friend.  We'd often text each other and trade insults... 

Wait, let me rephrase that: we'd text each other and I'd receive insults. 

He was hugely excited about my latest project, and we'd even started knocking around the possibility of us collaborating on a new sitcom. But our friendship aside, I remained completely in awe of him.

Rik was a gentleman; a pillar of integrity; a modest man, considering his huge achievements, and whatever the Universe may decide to throw at me, I'll remain eternally grateful that it gave me the opportunity to call Rik my friend; my mentor, the likes of whom I doubt I shall ever meet again.

RIP my dear friend. I'll miss you...